LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.1.0 BETA

• Update RPi kernel to 4.9.41
  • Update Generic kernel to 4.11.8
  • Update from LibreSSL to OpenSSL
  • Update to Samba 4.6.6
  • Update nVidia main driver to 384.59
  • Update to lirc 0.9.4d
  • Update linux-firmware and misc-firmware packages
  • Add Virtual project into Generic
  • Add buildsystem changes to make backports from master easier
  • Remove Tvheadend 4.0 server add-on (as superseded by Tvh 4.2)

See detailed changes on GitHub

!!! SAMBA  UPDATE – IMPORTANT !!!

The latest “Creators Update” for Windows 10 removes SMB1 client/server support and many NAS devices now ship with configuration that only supports SMB2/3, which causes problems because all versions of Kodi before 17.4 can only make SMB1 connections. This release includes changes that allow the Kodi SMB client and our embedded Samba server to work with SMB2/3 connections; improving SMB security and performance on most hardware. However, it is a disruptive change:

• The Kodi SMB client sometimes fails to negotiate SMB3 with old Samba versions. There is a new option in Kodi Settings > Services > SMB client > that allows SMB2 or SMB1 connections to be forced for compatibility with legacy SMB servers.
  • Samba 3.x /storage/.config/samba.conf configurations must be updated to use the new Samba 4.x template (samba.conf.sample) as some Samba 3.x configuration is incompatible. The embedded Samba server may fail to start until this is done.
  • Browsing SMB shares via “Windows network browsing” in Kodi requires the browser service on the SMB server. This SMB1 service is removed from Win10 in the creators update and there is no equivalent for SMB2/3 versions of the SMB protocol. When Kodi makes SMB2+ connections (which is now our default) Kodi network browsing to add sources will not work. Windows SMB shares can still be added using the full server/share path. It is still possible to browse non-Windows Samba/NAS devices that advertise SMB shares via ZeroConf (aka Bonjour/Avahi).
  • Connection failures to anonymous and guest shares are solved by creating a new local machine (not Microsoft ID) user and strong password for Kodi to use on the server, then assigning appropriate read or read-write permissions to the shares Kodi will access.

If you experience issues with SMB share access please post in the forums sharing information on the Windows and Samba versions, and a Kodi debug log, and we will do our best to help.

AUTO-UPDATE

After recent security issues with Kodi and Samba we need to ensure more users are running the latest release to benefit from feature and security bug fixes. To achieve this we have changed the default setting for auto-update from manual to auto. Auto-update provides maintenance updates, e.g. 8.1.0 BETA to 8.2.0 and from 8.2.0 to 8.2.1 etc. in the 8.2 release series. Major version updates are still manual (user-initiated) updates, e.g. 8.2.0 to a future 9.0.0 release. Users can revert to manual update in the LibreELEC settings add-on.

or donate by purchasing a LibreELEC teeshirt or hoodie

New installations using the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator app

LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.1.0.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-RPi.arm-8.1.0.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.1.0.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-Slice.arm-8.1.0.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-Slice3.arm-8.1.0.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-imx6.arm-8.1.0.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-8.1.0.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-8.1.0.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Core.arm-8.1.0.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Hub.aarch64-8.1.0.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.aarch64-8.1.0.img.gz (info)

New Install to WeTek internal NAND (.zip)

LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-8.1.0.zip (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Core.arm-8.1.0.zip (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Hub.aarch64-8.1.0.zip (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.aarch64-8.1.0.zip (info)

Manual Update from LibreELEC 7.0, 8.0, or OpenELEC (.tar)

LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.1.0.tar (info)
LibreELEC-RPi.arm-8.1.0.tar (info)
LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.1.0.tar (info)
LibreELEC-Slice.arm-8.1.0.tar (info)
LibreELEC-Slice3.arm-8.1.0.tar (info)
LibreELEC-imx6.arm-8.1.0.tar (info)
LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-8.1.0.tar (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-8.1.0.tar (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Core.arm-8.1.0.tar (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Hub.arm-8.1.0.tar (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.arm-8.1.0.tar (info)

1. Dominique Simon says:

Why has the TV Headend Server addon been removed? I used it a lot.

2. Chris says:

Would it be possible to add a libcec update/patch:
    As this issue came in with 8.0, and it’s update to libcec 4.
    Or would it need a new version on libcec to be released, rather than a patch?

3. Beber says:

Thanks for this release. I use wetek play 2 and my MCE remote doesn’t work. Seems that LIRC doesn’t work (activated in LE settings and reboot)
    Thanks

4. Raybuntu says:

@Beber: Official WP2 image uses amremote only. No chance to use lirc here.

• Beber says:

Ok for Off WP2 image that doesn’t use lirc at all.
      So it would be great to activate caps lock button at startup to enable numeric buttons (0-9), cause we must push caps lock button at every statup without that, some numeric buttons doesn’t work (4,0 and perhaps some others)

5. Jucgshu says:

Kudos as always guys, thanks for your work!

-j

6. plumpro says:

Is there an ETA on when the rewinding issue will be fixed for Odroid C2?

It is fixed in Kodi Leia which i’d guess to be ~6 months from release (and still a long way from alpha/beta testing). Unfortunately the VideoPlayer work in Leia has now gone way beyond the point where we can sensibly backport things, so you’ll have to wait patiently.

7. Tigerman82 says:

Anyone else experiencing ‘the double press issue’ where, using a remote, you get two presses when pressing a button just once. Seems worse when moving sideways (in the skin menu). I also noticed that if I pointed my remote elsewhere, maybe also from behind an obstacle so that the signal gets through just barely, the problem almost goes away. I’ve been using an XBOX 360 remote with LibreElec for a long time without any issues in any builds… Except now. Luckily, I have my wireless Microsoft Media keyboard as a backup which works as it should. Anyway, I’m thinking about trying a clean install (went from 8.0.2 without issues to 8.1.0 with this issue) although it’s a pain to do everything from scratch.

8. Stefan says:

Just wanted to say a BIG thanks for all your releases. LibreELEC rocks, you guys are always up to speed with all the Kodi releases… thank you so much.

I will try out the new Beta!

9. R says:

What Intel generations are supported for 10-bit HEVC hardware decoding in this release?

10. roidy says:

Kodi still reports nVidia drivers as 340.102 and running ‘nvidia-smi’ from command line reports the same, 340.102

We embed two nVidia drivers into the image; the main one which was updated to 384.59 and the “legacy” driver for older cards which remains on 340.102. The driver is chosen based on the PCI card ID so I guess you have an older card. Nothing is wrong..

11. Tiguana says:

I can confirm the exact same symptoms/activity as Tigerman82.

MS Remote control that’s been working fine for years is now “out of control”.

Pointing it at the floor “sometimes” helps.

12. Adam says:

HQ Scalers have completely disappeared in this update – no Bicubic, Lanczos or Spline? Are you aware of this? Thanks.

13. Jorge Amado says:

So if I can’t use TVH server, what should I use? (DVB-C)

Export tvh 4.0 configuration, remove addon, install the tvh 4.2 addon from our repo, import configuration. Or something like that.. I don’t use it personally.

14. Jorge Amado says:

What about s912 amlogic?

15. backslash says:

Thanks guys!

16. Vivian says:

Is there a user name and password for this to use winscp?

17. connry says:

enable smb2 and 3 in windows 10. samba problem solved.

To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

say thank you

18. Adrian says:

transmission doesnt work 🙁

19. Foo says:

So damn glad, you guys made the switch back to OpenSSL. OpenVPN working again, no more Year-2038-Problem… 🙂

20. Trespasser says:

It appears the LibreELEC settings, in Programs, addon is not working. I can’t get into the settings to disable ssh after installing 8.1.0. RPi2 version.

Try removing /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.libreelec.settings and reboot. It’s not a general problem else there would be lots more complaints so likely something local.

• Trespasser says:

Thanks, chewitt. I’ll give it a try and see if it fixes this problem.

• Trespasser says:

I did a reinstall of LibreELEC 8.1.0, Pi2 version, and everything is functioning normally (LE settings opens up). Thanks, chewitt, for your reply and help. Much appreciated. :).

21. connry says:

look who has made it to the distrowatch list 🙂

22. Jose says:

Hi,
    I have tvheadend 4.0 is there a way to upgrade to 4.2 and keep all settings?
    Thanks

23. Jose says:

Hi again,
    I have update tvheadend to 4.2 by exporting and write over some files.
    This work in libreelec 8.0.2
    But if i upgrade to 8.1.0 cannot get tvheadend server to start.
    Got a error : tvheadend service restart
    tvheadend: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.39: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Using libreelec with Raspberry pi 3
    Thanks for same points.

On first boot after updating to 8.1.0 you still have the 4.2 add-on from the 8.0.x repo which is built against LibreSSL so it will error (as 8.1.0 now uses OpenSSL) and not start. Once Kodi polls the LE repo and updates the add-on to the 8.2 repo version it should work again. If not, make sure it has updated, and if it has (and there is still an issue) please post in the forum.

• Jose says:

I have update again to 8.1.0
        Getting /storage/.kodi/addons/service.tvheadend42/bin/tvheadend:
        No such file or directory
        in addons : Tvheadend 4.2 libreelec.tv – 8.1.111
        Try to update but nothing happens.
        Reboot 4-5 times no luck with tvheadend
        Will post on the forum
        Thanks

24. hn333 says:

Tvheadend tv adapters are missing after update. Had to downgrade back to 8.0.2 to get it working again.

25. Joseph says:

Hardly usable in this version with IR remote, as every pressing of key is duplicated. Plus CD audio ripping does not work.

26. Trent says:

The latest Creators Update sets optional SMB 1 support to off on new installations. I don’t think it toggles it off on existing installations.

In any case you can simply enable it in Programs & Features > Turn Windows Features On/Off

However it is good that Kodi/LE are now starting to support SMB2/3 because soon this optional feature will be removed entirely.

27. garycarroll10 says:

this will be my entertai nment for the see able future i hope. please help me. thanx.

28. garycarroll10 says:

thanx. thanx and thanx again, im know able to enjoy working on a pc. iif this interest me ill keep on learning, so thank you. thats if every thing works well.

29. Ian P. Heitmans says:

I have an Odroid C2 with LibreELEC. I updated my fully working, official LibreELEC 8.0.2 to 8.1.0 with the LibreELEC Configuration add-on but after reboot my USB MCE remote receiver stopped working, the remote itself does work with the internal IR receiver but my C2 is on the other side of the wall so that doesn’t work that well. I turned off/on LIRC as suggested above and I also restored a configuration backup of the 8.2.0 config. But it just doesn’t work anymore. Downgrading back to 8.0.2 fixes it. Has the USB driver for the MCE remote been removed or is this a bug?

• Ian P. Heitmans says:

Just updated the Raspberry PI 2 in the other room. No problem there with 8.1.0 and the same MCE USB remote receiver.

• HiassofT says:

Make sure you reboot after disabling Lirc in LE settings – otherwise kernel decoding will stay disabled. If this doesn’t work please open a thread in the forum.

• Ian P. Heitmans says:

Although I was sure I rebooted the last time, I just retried. After updating to 8.1.0 my remote stopped working (as mentioned before). Then I disabled LIRC in LibreELEC Configuration and rebooted. Unfortunately after reboot the remote still did not work. When I went back to 8.0.2 the remote only started to work after I enabled LIRC again.

30. Jimbob says:

Tried putting LibreELEC on my Prometheus box but it will not install or update etc.
    it’s in the root file but wont do anything from there.
    obviously i am a novice at this type of thing and it probably wasn’t a good idea to try and update my box from 14.2 this way, but having way too many problems to be carrying on.
    any and all help would be much appreciated

31. Hugues says:

Hello,
    I have a asrock j3455-itx board and I installed LibreElec 8.1.0 to have 4k 10 bit hardware decoding. That work ! Thx. 🙂

But I have an other problem, the passthrough audio don’t work. All format audio (AC3, DTS, etc.) is converted to PCM. On the 8.0.2 version only Dolby Digital and DTS passthrough work.

Is a configuration problem in kodi or LibreElec param ? Is a bug ? Is there a workaround ?

Someone can help or explain me?

Thanks
    Regards.
    Hugues.

• Klojum says:

The news section is not the proper location for support. Please use the LibreELEC forum and supply full info/details on your hardware problem(s).

32. timo says:

Hey,
    only info who has ident issues with remote.
    I am using an “usb-Formosa21_eHome_Infrared_Transceiver” with addon keymap editor.
    After update to 8.1.0 my remotes are not working anymore. Some reading in this comments gave me the solution tip. Deactivating LIRC in the LibreElec settings under services and a reboot brought the remote back to live.

Thanks!

33. Frank Schroeder says:

Does anyone else has the issue that when trying to connect to a share after the upgrade a password is asked? Unfortunately I don’t own one and the one like root with libreelec doesn’t work… I also don’t have ssh enabled.
    I needed it now as after installing a new skin I just have a black screen so it is no longer usable.
    All is installed on a Pi2
    I tried with MacOS and Windows 10 / 2012 server and 8.1

34. Vctrsnts says:

I update libreelec 8.0.2 to 8.1.0 and i lost de wifi connection.
    The update make with the wifi. Download de new version and know lost de wifi.

Anymore lost de wifi connection??

35. Trespasser says:

I access my Pi3 LibreELEC 8.1.0 shares via my Ubuntu 16.04 laptop. I understand that the samba version has changed in 8.1.0 and that now you will receive a prompt to login as anonymous or you can save your username/password details in keyring. The problem with that is if my modem/wireless router is rebooted my Pi3’s local network address may change (has happened to me once already). Any way to configure the samba.conf file to allow me browse my Pi3 LE shares without the bother of a prompt?

Thanks.

1. August 15, 2017

[…] team findings and user reports. Kodi is updated to 17.4-RC1 with minor bugfixes since v17.3,” says Christian Hewitt, […]

2. August 15, 2017

[…] This is a BETA of our 8.2 release; a mid-year bump to enhance hardware support and capabilities. It adds 10-bit HEVC support for recent Intel GPU generations, Samba 4.6 which brings support for SMB2/SMB3, and several SSL issues are resolved in a switch to OpenSSL. We continue to refine firmware we embed; removing old and unused files to reduce image size while adding new drivers and firmwares based on team findings and user reports. Kodi is updated to 17.4-RC1 with minor bugfixes since v17.3. Changes since LibreELEC 8.0.2 include: Fix NAND install on WeTek Hub/Play 2 after Android Marshmallow updates... Source link […]

3. August 15, 2017

[…] HEVC desteği eklenmiş bulunuyor. LibreELEC 8.1.0 Beta hakkında ayrıntılı bilgi edinmek için sürüm duyurusu […]

4. August 16, 2017

[…] LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.1.0 BETA […]

5. August 19, 2017

[…] Para saber mais sobre essa versão da distribuição, acesse a nota de lançamento. […]