Happy 1st Birthday!
It’s our 1st Birthday, and instead of telling you how much fun it’s been to create a huge community around the project and reach 178,000 active installs, or talk about code and developers, we’re going to focus on two birthday essentials: looking cool, and cake!
Today we are launching the official LibreELEC apparel store. Purchasing a LibreELEC tee-shirt or hoodie allows you to support us (all profits go to the project) and look great at the same time. Whether you need to stand out in a crowd or impress small children, the LibreELEC apparel store has you covered!
“any colour you like, as long as it’s black!” – Henry Ford
We are using teespring.com to handle money and logistics. This is the same company Kodi use for their shirts so we know the merchandise is good quality and the service reliable. The LibreELEC store is organised to make a print run every four days (subject to a minimum order volume) and we receive a fixed amount back per-item ordered once a design campaign completes.
CAKE, CAKE, AND MORE CAKE!
Small children pointed out that a) Smarties are available in the same colours as our logo, and b) Cupcakes with Smarties are tasty! ..which led to some after-school fun and rigorous testing of a LibreELEC cupcake recipe. LibreELEC cupcakes are perfect for celebrating our 1st birthday!
“little ones don’t count!”
If you celebrate our first birthday with a LibreELEC cupcake please share the pictures (safe for work and kids please) to our social media accounts on Twitter and Facebook. We are fans of sticky fingers and smiley faces.
This recipe makes 12x normal adult-size cupcakes or 24x mini child-size cupcakes similar to the masterpieces of baking shown in the photo above.
Ingredients for cupcakes:
- 110g/4oz softened butter, or margarine
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g/4oz self-raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat an oven to 180ºC/350ºF and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl.
- Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, add milk until the mixture is spreadable.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
Ingredients for buttercream icing and decoration:
- 140g/5oz butter, softened
- 280g/10oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 2-3 tubes of Smarties (or M&M’s, but they’re the wrong colours)
- Add the butter in a large bowl and beat until soft.
- Add half the icing sugar and beat into a smooth mixture.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of milk.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread icing onto the top of the cakes using the back of a Spoon or Spatula.
- Place pink, blue, green and orange Smarties on top to make the LibreELEC logo.