LibreELEC (Krypton) v7.95.2 BETA

LibreELEC (Krypton) 8.0 preview releases continue with v7.95.2 available for all build projects except Amlogic aarch64 devices. LibreELEC v7.95.2 is based upon Kodi Krypton 17.0 final. If no major issues are identified we expect 8.0.0 to be the next release.

Changes in v7.95.2 include:

• Fix media_build issues with some IR drivers
  • Fix an issue with taglib and mp3 streams
  • Fix TT-S2-3600 DVB device
  • Update to DVB firmware
  • Update to Raspberry Pi firmware
  • Update to Linux support patches for Raspberry Pi
  • Update to Kodi v17.0 final
  • Update to LibreELEC settings 0.8.8 to fix minor cosmetic issues

AARCH64 MEMLEAK

Amlogic aarch64 projects (WeTek Hub, WeTek Play 2, and Odroid C2) are still excluded from Beta due to a memory leak issue. Although we have not identified the root cause, we have eliminated a number of areas from suspicion and are now focussed on the integration between Kodi and ffmpeg. We have also identified several issues with kernel memory management are are now testing changes to resolve them. If the memleak is fixed before 8.0.0 release we will provide a 7.95.2 build. If it is not fixed before 8.0.0 there will be an Alpha release for aarch64 approx. ~48 hours after 8.0.0 with a Beta for aarch64 once the issue is resolved. The team thanks our aarch64 users for being patient while we work the problem and follow a proper testing and release process.

Update 7/2/2016: The memory leak turns out to be a memory fragmentation issue (not actually a leak) and there is a simple workaround we can use until a full fix (some Kodi plumbing required) arrives in the future. Solving this has been a genuine team effort, with many eyeballs burning midnight oil and CPU cycles to eliminate ideas and progressively narrow the focus of the investigation. Kudos for the final Eureka! moment belongs to @popcornmix from the Pi Foundation staff. There will now be a 7.95.3 Beta release to prove this and other fixes for issues with remote controls in Generic builds that must be road-tested before we move forwards to 8.0.0 release.

BOOT PARTITION SIZE

The LibreELEC (Krypton) 7.95.2 image for Generic x86_64 hardware is 216MB so it fits in the 230MB boot partition size limit of older OpenELEC installations without resizing the boot partition or forcing a complete reinstallation.

** CANARY PERIOD **

LibreELEC operates a 24-hour ‘canary’ period between release files being posted for download and the release being available via auto-update. During this time our LibreELEC 8.0 Alpha or Beta preview and LibreELEC 7.0.3 users can use the LibreELEC settings add-on to update manually from within the Kodi GUI. To update from older LibreELEC 7.0 releases (e.g. 7.0.2) or OpenELEC use the .tar file below.

New installations using the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator app

LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.2.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-RPi.arm-7.95.2.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-7.95.2.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-imx6.arm-7.95.2.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-7.95.2.img.gz (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Core.arm-7.95.2.img.gz (info)

New Install to WeTek internal NAND (.zip)

LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-7.95.2.zip (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Core.arm-7.95.2.zip (info)

Manual Update from LibreELEC 7.0 or OpenELEC (.tar)

LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.2.tar (info)
LibreELEC-RPi.arm-7.95.2.tar (info)
LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-7.95.2.tar (info)
LibreELEC-imx6.arm-7.95.2.tar (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-7.95.2.tar (info)
LibreELEC-WeTek_Core.arm-7.95.2.tar (info)

SUPPORT ASSISTANCE AND BUG REPORTS

Please flag issues via a bug report in the forums. You are also encouraged to participate in LibreELEC development and submit fixes via GitHub!

1. Mitchell says:

Nice!

2. Mitchell says:

Before anyone asks, nightlies for the C2 can be found here.

3. Jiří Roubalík says:

Ok for Andoid “DTS-HD, DTS-X, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby ATMOS audio pass-through is now supported.” . When will be supported also for RPi 3 in libreelec? Thanks

• mac321 says:

Never…

The Pi 2 and Pi 3 DO support HD Audio – both DTS-HD MA/HRA and Dolby True HD – losslessly decoded to PCM 5.1/7.1 with no quality loss for all except 192kHz 5.1/7.1 tracks (the Pis support 48/96kHz at 5.1/7.1 but only 4.0 at 192kHz).

You don’t get bitstreaming, and so don’t get Dolby Atmos or DTS:x – but you do get lossless HD Audio decoded to multichannel PCM (just like the first gen Blu-ray players and PS 3 implemented HD Audio)

• Jiří Roubalík says:

Really? I have now DTS and DD on the reciever. I using Rpi3 and libreelec 7.95.1. SO not PCM, but DD and DTS working.

• Frank says:

DD and DTS passthrough are working in older Kodi versions on PI, too. As I read in a previous comment, on Android DTS-HD, TrueHD is as well working. Can some knowing people explain me (or point me to a documentation, …) why is it not possible to do it on PI. How is passthrough working in general? What kind of restrictions prevent it on a PI?

• Robert says:

I believe it’s just a matter of bandwidth on the chip to HDMI since you’re talking about several channels of uncompressed audio. For $35 it’s a bargain, but lets not pretend it’s designed for high end audio encodings with several channels. That’s technically an old CPU designed for cell phones of several years ago. Nobody was thinking Home Theater when they made it. Just shows how powerful it really was for it’s time.

• Mohamed says:

On android I still not have the passthrough support i dont know why but working on raspberry pi

4. Godwin says:

Thanks… Testing it on RPi2…

5. Sam says:

I see no mention for fixing Wetek Core being unusable after long time of being Idle,is this problem still persist?

It’s not a known problem so hard to say.

• Sam says:

on wetek forums I saw a workaround to solve this by doing :

I’ve already did this and gonna test if this solve the problem.

• Sam says:

and even if this workaround fixed the problem I’ll try to reproduce the bug and send a log file to you.

• Sam says:

after testing the problem is still there , hoping to see it fixed by next update

• supernovus says:

Is this when the whole system goes into zombie mode, and every click takes 15-30 seconds to register? Getting back to the main menu to try to reboot can take several minutes. It’s highly annoying! It never happened on LE 7.0.x but is fairly common on 7.95.1 (I haven’t had too much chance to experiment with 7.95.2 yet.)

• Sam says:

yeah it’s still not fixed , I managed to solve this problem by running this command : “echo “echo hotplug > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor” >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh”

I can confirm that this fix the bug , so I think it would be easy for Libreelec to fix this in next update

• Scott says:

I was waiting for this release in hope it would work on the Core.
        This release is a significant step back.
        Total of four Cores and all freeze and must be unplugged to get Core to become responsive.
        Within minutes the Core is frozen again.

• supernovus says:

I can confirm the weird zombie mode still happens on 7.95.2. I will try changing the scaling_governor setting as per Sam’s comment.

6. conkast says:

DD not working in TV streams 🙁 in 7.0.3 works

• Frank says:

Same issure here.

Live streams need to be resampled to get audio and video in sync and this prevents true passthrough. It doesn’t work (as you think) in Jarvis either but hacks result in the DD light appearing on the AVR and users are ignorant of truth but happy. If you enable AC3 transcoding in Krypton it should pull a similar trick.

7. TCHAMMER says:

On My Intel NUC5PPYH i have the Problem that 2K Videos that plays in 1080P have stutter without Video Drop or Skip on debug Codec info. On 7.0.3 the Video plays fine without stutter in 1080P 60 HZ. I Set Refreshrate change on start / Stop and Sync to Display is Active too. Has it to do with the Intel DRI3 Driver or is there a Bug that get to be Fixed?

• Klojum says:

Newspage items are NOT the place for asking about debugging problems. Please start a new topic in the LibreELEC forum where information on your problem can be handled much better.

• Söder says:

I also got an NUC with Braswell. I have no problem with videos, but got huge lags in the skins with the menus. Got an high cpu and all that Do you got something like that on your NUC?

/Söder

8. iPep says:

LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-7.95.2.zip (info)
    LibreELEC-WeTek_Core.arm-7.95.2.zip (info)
    Hola. ¿Porque no esta para Wetek Hub?
    Hi. Why not for Wetek Hub?

Saludos

9. Jeroen says:

How bad is this memory leak issue?, is it after days, or hours.

• Raybuntu says:

Sometimes just after few minutes. Please be patient. Team Kodi is working hard to find the issue.

• Hans says:

@Raybuntu:
        I’m no expert, but seems to me ffmpeg related.
        I tried to populate thumbmails on my Odroid C2 for my large picture library via shell script like
        FOR every Dir ; do kodi-send –action=’ActivateWindow(Pictures,DIR); sleep N sec ; done
        At DIRs with a lot a picture files, LE is crashing and restating.
        Looking at logfiles I find a lot of debug messages like ffmpeg[EFEFE3A0]: [mjpeg] avail_size_in_buf=0

The issue is related to malloc and how memory is managed, not ffmpeg. We have proved the same issue exists in x86_64, though the effect on x86 is not as dramatic as with the Amlogic kernel. A potential workaround for this has been identified and now needs “productising” and further testing.

10. Jeroen says:

thanks, then il be patient! :p

11. Mohamed says:

Now the new DVB driver support the hd star v3

12. bledd says:

Hi,

My IR Apple remote stopped working after updating. I went from the previous stable/final build to this beta, using the shared folder update method.

I have a Pi2, IR module connected via GPIO.

This is how I use my remote..

This line added to config.txt
    dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

lircd.conf config file added to device in following location, contains button mappings.
    \\DEVICEIP\Configfiles\lircd.conf

gen.xml added to following location for custom mappings
    \\DEVICEIP\Userdata\keymaps\gen.xml

I’m about to look into why it may not be working 🙂

• bledd says:

Aha, after a reboot, it’s all working nicely.

My cec is now working too with my LG tv, it was always flakey before

13. Arjen says:

My raspberry is constantly giving me blackscreens. In the logfile it says i need to fix my firmware. On both the pi2 & pi3 i have this problem, any solution?

14. Goh BH says:

cannot play .rm and rmvb format on Raspberry Pi3. There is sound bit no video.

15. Sean Durmex says:

WeetekCore After update systems freezing LibreELEC-WeTek_Core.arm-7.95.2-update
    i downgraded to LibreELEC-WeTek_Core.arm-7.95.1-update and its work

16. lukcinek says:

The older version was better for me.
    The new 7.95.2 version hangs when I try to copy some files from my pc to wetek through samba 🙁
    It also hangs couple oftimes when I try to watch video from internet 🙁
    Best regards

17. aleva90 says:

On RPi2, blackscreens every time I try to play a video

18. Bo Jansson says:

works great! 👌👍 RPi3

19. vaggvisa says:

On my RPi2 I get lots of DVB-C transport and continuity errors in TVheadend with my two receivers (Silicon Labs Si2168 and Panasonic MN88473) which makes live TV streams an unpleasant, jerky experience with lots of artefacts . In rare cases there is no reception at all.

Switching back and forth between libreelec 7.0.3 and 7.95.2 (both on same type of SD card Samsung evo+ 32GB) shows this reproducably only occurs with 7.95.2.

SSH connections take much longer to establish (approx. 5 seconds vs. instantaneously)

webinterface takes much longer to load

CPU usage is considerably higher (kodi.bin 8% vs. approx. 25%)

otherwise I love it, especially the new skin

• kid says:

I can confirm. I have same issue with 7.95.2. I’m using Panasonic MN88473 (Astrometa). Switching back to 7.0.3 everything is ok.

• Boxson says:

Does it work with TVHeadend PVR plugin running a separate TVHEadend Server ?

• vaggvisa says:

The trouble is not in the TVHeadend PVR plugin since the artefacts / errors are also present in the dvb-c streams (“pass” profile in TVHeadend Server) picked up and watched in VLC Player on Windows 10. It might well be caused by changes in the media_build. My two usb-receivers just seem to be badly frequency tuned since the video is mostly recognizable (so it works in principal) but the signal-to-noise ratio is much worse than with 7.0.3.

• kid says:

Please let me know if you find a workaround. Thanks!

• vaggvisa says:

Right now I have the TVHeadend server running on RPi2 under libreelec 7.0.3 and use the TVHeadend PVR plugin under Kodi Krypton running on a Amazon Fire Stick. This solution works nice.

I get rock solid live TV streams from the 7.0.3 build and enjoy the hugely improved usability of the new Kodi standard skin running on the Fire Stick

20. Mikenet says:

Eagerly waiting on a official working C2 build. Keep up the good work!

21. turbolooser says:

waiting to see the play 2 issues fixed 🙂

22. Korean says:

Pi3 bluetooth audio work well??

23. RPMeow says:

Absolutely fantastic on RPI3. How can it only occupy 78meg of RAM? Incredible!

24. Connry says:

So your going right from beta to stable? Not any RC’s?

25. Mr_Scoops says:

Cross-posted from the Wetek forum. This is on a Wetek Core updated from 7.0.3 to 7.95.2. Audio is on optical out to a DTS/DD5.1 receiver. Video, if it matters, is on an old LG 1080p TV with “24p 5:5/2:2 Pull Down” that switches on when 7.95.2 plays a 24p file. I have yet not noticed any GUI slowdown or black screen when playing video.

Cons:
    – 23.976 content still causes hitching in 24p. This is with change refresh rate set to “always” and “sync video to display rate” UNchecked. “The People vs OJ Simpson” episode one has a ton of slow circling pans if you want reference material to check for it. I was using a 23.976 720p mkv file, not Netflix. It didn’t ever seem to be in the same place twice. I believe this is the rounding error problem? I didn’t count the seconds between hiccups. It seemed more noticeable than ever with this update, but it’s possible it’s some encoding problem with these files that I don’t understand.
    – On pausing video, I hear a quiet, high-pitched warbling garbage noise being sent to my receiver. It’s not a huge problem but it is definitely specific to 7.95.2. Never had the problem with 7.0.3.
    – One hard crash requiring a manual power button reset on the box.

Pros:
    – Fast-forwarding and rewinding no longer causes stuttery or de-synced video.
    – In fact, no manual adjustment of audio delay seems necessary at all. (Might need more testing to be sure.)
    – Menus seem much faster
    – Speed overall seems noticeably faster.
    – The hard crash was fixable with a power button reboot on the box, rather than yanking the power cord like I’ve had to do at least a half-dozen times in the past six months.
    – I have not noticed any slowdown in GUI, even after having it play music and multiple 90-min-long TV episodes in a row. Haven’t watched any 3-hour movies straight through though.
    – The way the remote works in Krypton is much more intuitive than in the previous version of Kodi.

• SuperMan says:

I agree with everything you’ve said.
      What do you mean though by the last point: “The way the remote works in Krypton is much more intuitive than in the previous version of Kodi.” ?

• Mr_Scoops says:

Like: Hitting the back button while watching a file is the same as hitting stop. It used to play in the background with the audio still going. I can’t imagine who benefitted from that. Also: hitting select just pauses the file, as opposed to bringing up the OSD.

I prefer the new remote behavior, which is ironically more like Kodi used to work 3 or 4 versions ago.

• 77 says:

> I prefer the new remote behavior.. Hitting the back button while watching a file is the same as hitting stop

On my remote the old behavior can still be selected with a long press of the back button. I presume that is by design on Kodi 17. A pop up diagram of remote functions would be helpful though.

> I can’t imagine who benefitted from that.

People who want to do system maintenance & search / install apps while listening to a live stream

26. Tepp says:

What? The 25 fps playback is totally broken (not smooth), even worse than in stable 7.0.3, where I managed to fix it by using 50Hz by default.

P.S. And yes, I have Auto-framerate On and #xrandr shows that the refresh rate is switching to 50Hz when starting 25fps source.

Great work guys!
    Running it on my Pi3 without issue.
    Excited for the C2 stable build once ready.
    Then I can swap all the Pis out for the C2!

28. rob says:

Does overclocking work for you guys? After editing the config.txt the system doesn’t boot.

With the stable the following commands worked perfect…

arm_freq=1100
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=500
    over_voltage=6

Any ideas?

29. grobihh says:

It’s amazing!
    So far everything works perfectly after the upgrade. The menu seems to be quicker than before.
    The issue with player/samba congesting the network when using certain codecs is gone.
    Even HEVC playback seems to be smoother.
    Thanks everybody; Libreelec and Kodi team!

30. grobihh says:

P.S. I am using x86_64 generic on a ZOTAC ZBox ID81 (Dualcore SNB @1,2GHz and 2GB RAM)

31. Dave says:

Guy’s does this version have the EEE fix thats causes Ethernet disconnections in Wetek Play2 included or not?

Yes, as the changes have been committed. No, because there was no official 7.95.2 release for WP2 due to an ongoing investigation.

32. Tim says:

Awesome update guys! Great Work 🙂

33. Pascal says:

Running on a Pi2 and a Pi3 both without issues so far… Thnx guys!

34. Shinysidewinder says:

Don’t know why but after installing update my Rpi3 not even booting anymore. Hangs in Libreelec beta booting screen.

35. Shinysidewinder says:

Post reply tot above: tried Update from Kodi Gui and tried update Libreelec with Tar file. Nut same problem with booting up Libreelec.

36. Andy says:

Odroid C2 related: Finally you found the Memleak/Memcorruption issue! Sounds really promising!
    Waiting for beta3 now 😀
    Thanks to all involved!

37. Luna Jernberg says:

Awesome just heard about this on http://jupiterbroadcasting.com/

38. Gary Donnison says:

You guys are truly awesome. Can’t thank you enough, in addition to a donation, for the collaborative work you do and all your achievements. If only the rest of the world worked together like this. John Lennon would be happy!

39. Ras says:

Performace on the RPi 3 feels sluggish at times, no idea why. Loading takes a lot longer too. No such issues on Jarvis.
    (same RPi, same PSU, same memory card)

40. Christian S. says:

system load very high on RPi 1B

First I want to say thanks for the great work! Everything works, but the system load is at 75-85% for Kodi just for being idle or playing audio streamed from tvheadend (DVB-C radio). Is this normal? I have to admit I didn’t look at the load in older versions.

41. Shaker says:

With this version, I have no ip in pi2. I put the sd card with last Jarvis 16.1 release and I have an ip. It’s a bug in this build with pi2?

42. john says:

Thank you and congratulations for your huge work. However I have a problem playing mp4 files: Cpu loads until max overheating the pi (i’m using rpi3). I’ve played the same mp4 files in LibreElec 7.0.3 and the cpu usage was very low and everything was working fine.

I don’t know if it’s a known issue. Just wanted to notify it!

43. Pete says:

Small issue… the download notification (while watch something) disappears while scrolling before the download percentage is shown.

44. d4nm3d says:

Any ideas if we’re going to see a aarch64 build before the weekend?

• Paul says:

I believe they are compiling the v7.95.3 now if you look at the commits on Github. So they will probably release it very soon.

45. Henk says:

Ik vindtdt dit echt eeen heule mooie applicatie! Ik kan hiermee al mijn boerenfilmen bekijken, zoals Bertha in die wei and Karnemelken met Hubertus! (En Koei’n melk’n m’n henk’n!)

46. 77 says:

Just took this update via the GUI on Play 1 and now it freezes on LibreELEC beta splash screen and GDB is crunching on some task forever. Is it just me or everyone else?

47. Hibees says:

Thanks for the hard work everyone. Running sweetly on my Pis. Donation sent with my appreciation.