LibreELEC (Krypton) v7.90.004 ALPHA

LibreELEC (Krypton) 8.0 preview builds continue with v7.90.004 which is now available for all build projects. Krypton support for imx6, WeTek Play/Core and various Amlogic devices is still being refined so do not expect perfection: we need our supporting community builders and code contributors to  refocus their efforts from improving Jarvis to improving Krypton. The changes in v7.90.004 include:

• Fix IR auto-repeat on many remotes
  • Fix use of custom remote.conf files
  • Fix /flash and /system unmount messages at shutdown
  • Fix use of freetype in lcdproc
  • Fix use S/PDIF passthrough on imx6
  • Fix typos in the imx6 update script
  • Fix logic of NAND installs on WeTek Play/Core devices
  • Fix “route add” failures from Busybox when using OpenVPN
  • Fix handling of progressive content causing green screens in Generic
  • Fix unsupported use of UAS in Raspberry Pi kernels
  • Update to Linux 4.7 kernel
  • Update to Kodi v17.0 alpha3
  • Update to RPi/RPi2 backports and firmware
  • Update to imx6 kernel, libcec and Kodi
  • Update to boot resolution (splash rendering) code
  • Update to amremote driver
  • Update primary nVidia driver to 367.35
  • Updates to numerous other build-system packages
  • Add database migration status indication to Kodi splash screen
  • Add creation of OVA images to the Virtual project
  • Add Atric IR-wakeup-USB support to lirc
  • Add disk “out of space” warnings to the init/update process

PASSTHROUGH AUDIO

In Kodi Krypton passthrough audio requires VideoPlayer to use the audio clock of the source material as its time reference. If you enable “sync playback to display” Kodi is forced to use the connected panel frequency for its clock reference so passthrough audio is automatically disabled. Older versions of Kodi had a mode that duplicates (or drops) source audio to keep the audio clock in sync with the panel but this hack has been removed in Krypton. This is mentioned because we see reports of “passthrough does not work in Alpha builds!” and legacy “sync playback to display” configuration is the main cause.

KODI BETA

Kodi are expected to release the first Krypton Beta in the next ~10 days but Kodi starting beta does not mean LibreELEC also starts beta. Kodi development still has a long way to go (multiple beta and release candidate builds) and we still have a major Amlogic kernel change and support for the WeTek Hub and other Generic S905 devices to pull in. LibreELEC will continue with Alpha builds until we are confident the major components are solid (no major version changes needed) and properly tested.

**REMINDER**

LibreELEC operates a 24-hour ‘canary’ period between release files being posted to the download page and the release being available via auto-update.

** CAUTION **

Alpha builds exist for hands-on testing not a hands-off experience. If you run Alpha builds you must be willing to report issues via the forums and engage the LibreELEC and Kodi developers in hunting bugs. If you have no idea what a debug log is or “wife acceptance factor” is critical, these builds are not for you.

If you want to run Alpha builds please make a backup and store it somewhere safe (off-box) first. Your failure to make a backup is not our problem.

Enjoy 🙂

LibreELEC PREVIEW BUILDS

1. Jucgshu says:

Kudos & many thanks for your hard work guys !

2. jarJar says:

Thank you for your amazing work dudes !

3. BigNerv says:

WeTek Play isn’t starting up after NAND install.

4. Perentaart says:

Will try tonight. Exciting stuff! Thanks for all your efforts.

5. Dan Atkins says:

Just installed on my odroid c2. I was running videodb106 on mysql but it didn’t migrate it to v107. I had to run the new alpha on my pi3 which migrated it striaght away. The c2 is now working fine with mysql.

It sounds like a slow loading network driver ~ so SQL isn’t accessible and thus the update doesn’t take place. Otherwise there’s no functional difference between C2 and any other LE using device. They’re all based on the same Kodi code.

• Dan says:

Yeah I never thought about that, the c2 was a fresh install so didn’t have wait for network before boot enabled

• Matt says:

I got mine to migrate by booting into KODI then to LibreELEC settings and select “Wait for network”.
      Then reboot and watch it migrate 🙂

6. danny9484 says:

Wetek Play update doesn’t work
    Kernel or system file not found

• Orishas537 says:

Same here Wetek Play missing kernel or system. NAND also not working, stops at boot screen

7. jamesdm says:

Hi guys. Thanks for all the hard work.
    I managed to get the .tar file for the manual update for my Wetek Core BUT is not on the download links. Just to let you know.
    Thanks.

COOL!
    Will try on the C2 tonight 🙂

• Matt says:

I’m assuming HW decoding is broken on C2 build?
      I can only get videos (any, mpeg2, h264 etc) to play with AMLOGIC HW turned off in settings.
      With it on, the video just freezes.

9. Freek says:

No more CodecInfo?

10. Skeptic says:

Matt wrote:
    >I’m assuming HW decoding is broken on C2 build?

Can we expect any progress with this issue shortly?

11. liquidannie says:

PVR addon VU+ not working. when will this be available in LE8? Thanks.

12. Daniel says:

PVR addon Mediaportal not working (although data is loading).
    First it only worked flawless when setting deinterlacing inactive, after a reboot the system freezes after showing PVR video for about a second.
    (worked fine with v003)

13. me2 says:

1. Upgrade works on Play if LE is installed on SD card (but did hang on first boot trying to load skin after upgrading databases)

2. The main issue here is problems downloading & changing skins; nothing happens on most attempts but a few skins will install or switch without errors

3. I was eager to try the new Estuary skin but had to manually edit guisettings.xml to activate it because the skin switching function is not working in most skins after the upgrade

4. My primary issue with Estuary is that it only shows the 10 most recent plug-ins for each category and the skin switching menu does not work. Cant really use it without access to all plug-ins.

5. Another disappointment with Estuary is the inability to play video in the background while you navigate menus

6. You can only see 4 plug-ins on the screen with Estuary (too much scrolling)

• me2 says:

I figured out how to use Estuary, haha. Under the TV menu it says RECENTLY played channels but under the ADD-ONS menu it does NOT say RECENTLY. Estuary uses different words in adjacent menus to describe the same thing, causing confusion for the new user. You just have to click on the menu to see the full list of add-ons.

Estuary is otherwise a well designed skin that will make an excellent standard. Once you realize where everything moved to, the layout does make sense. I had to manually update some plug-ins & repos to get everything working again. It is a bit crashy when configuring PVR clients. Also many skins are not compatible with Krypton so you must accept Estuary for now (without background video playback.) A few repos like USTV can get stuck and block all updates. I just uninstalled the plugin. But genuine progress is being made on Krypton and I thank the devs for this release.

• me2 says:

Update: Background video playback does work in Estuary if you press the HOME button. If you press the BACK button it stops playing, and some other skins dont work that way.

14. Marciano says:

Am i right there are no options for DTS HD and TRUEHD in audio options for ODROID C2?

HD formats are still in the Amlogic to-do list

• Tommy says:

Opps, at having run at all not at the Alpha 4 on the ODROID-C2. You can indeed install clean, but there any play HD and SD material is impossible. It looks as if here the hardware acceleration will not work …

Sorry for my bad English. Use a translator.

15. stefan says:

hi,
    thx for new version. pvr addon dvblink is not working . only first channel works. at channel switching kodi is freezing

You need to provide a Kodi debug log in the forums. And whatever the issue is, it probably needs to be reported to the add-on maintainer or Kodi developers.

16. stefan says:

system is rp3 and x86

17. fred says:

This is not the right Place to report Bugs – use the Forum insted.

18. Tahrir says:

Hi,

I’m about to try switching to LibreElec from OpenElec, and it seems like the update process should be nice and painless, but I wanted to ask – I’ve got a Harmony Touch remote, and I remember having to install some config file to make it work with OpenElec – if I upgrade to LibreElec – will it still use my existing remote config, or will my Harmony stop working? If so, how difficult will it be to get it working again?

a) The packaging of LE/OE is basically the same and LE should just see/use the same config file created for OE, b) always make a backup and move it off-box first so that things can be recovered in the event of a problem that requires reinstallation.

• Tahrir says:

Ah! Thanks for clarifying that 🙂 Okay, time for me to get on board!

• Tahrir says:

Just to say that the upgrade to LibreElec worked fine, and this Alpha is also working fine. The remote is operating as it was in OpenElec 🙂 The only issue I have now (but I realize this is an Alpha build) is that live tv (PVR with VDR) is jerky and stuttery, but I’m hoping this will get fixed soon 🙂

19. sabrex says:

Just switched from OpenELEC to LibreELEC 7.0.3 … very nice! I want to upgrade to the 8.X Alpha, and am wondering if it’s possible to switch back to 7.X by simply booting with the 7.x tar file in the Update folder or not. Also, now that Kodi 7.0 Beta 1 is released, will we see a new update that integrates the beta anytime soon?

Correct. Downgrade by ‘updating’ using the tar file as normal. And yes, something with B1 code is being worked on. It always takes a few days to gather other things that need to be updated at the same time as Kodi, build, then test before we release. “Coming soon” 🙂

20. Poe says:

The TAR file for manual update seems to be missing from the alpha page. The links are under “New Install and Manual Update” but only the new install IMG is linked

• Ti-Paul says:

LibreElec use same img file for the update.
      Just put this .gz file into update directory and the update mechanism will do the job.

Single file to rule them all! 🙂

• Poe says:

I actually just edited the URL to have a .tar extension instead of .img.gz and sure enough, there was a file there! But good to know for next time, thanks

21. vali says: