LibreELEC (Krypton) v7.90.001 ALPHA

Alpha builds are an important part of our long-term test strategy. Our developers do high quality testing but we are small in number, don’t have every device to test with, and often sidestep problems without realising. The project needs a community of regular testers with a larger selection of hardware and more ‘human’ behaviour to find problems we miss. Thorough testing will be particularly important for LibreELEC 8.0 as Kodi v17 brings major video changes and introduces new retro gaming capabilities.

At this stage it’s too early to talk about release dates but we do want to talk about LibreELEC releasing 8.0 shortly after Kodi push their v17.0 release. It would be awesome if the time gap is small, but our priority is a stable release not fast release. If there are outstanding issues when Kodi v17.0 ships (as there were with Kodi v15 and v16) we may hold LibreELEC 8.0 back until v17.1 or needed patches become available. If this is going to happen we promise to be open about our plans to manage expectations.

AUTO UPDATE

LibreELEC v7.90.001 will update automatically to future Alpha builds and then Beta and the Final 8.0 release if auto-update is enabled. Initial LibreELEC 8.0 Alpha builds have no fixed schedule but as time advances we’re aiming for a weekly Alpha build.

TEST NOTES

The current focus for Alpha testing is the OS core. LibreELEC has moved up to the Linux 4.6 kernel and there are other major-package changes. Right now we’re more interested in hardware/driver things that don’t work than Kodi issues. Controller input changes from @garbear are now merged but other parts of the new gaming features are still taking shape.

v7.90.001 is available for Generic x86_64 hardware and Raspberry Pi devices. Kodi video changes for Amlogic devices (Odroid C2 and WeTek Play/Core) are “work in progress” but we have visibility on developer progress and hope to start Alpha builds for them in the near future. Similar changes for imx6 (Cubox-i2/i4 and Hummingboard) devices are also in development, but we have low visibility on progress and a decision to continue or discontinue support for imx6 is still pending.

** CAUTION **

Alpha builds exist for hands-on testing not a hands-off experience. If you run Alpha builds you must be willing to report issues via the forums and engage the LibreELEC and Kodi developers in hunting bugs. If you have no idea what a debug log is or “wife acceptance factor” is critical, these builds are not for you.

If you want to run Alpha builds please make a backup and store it somewhere safe (off-box) first. Your failure to make a backup is not our problem.

Enjoy 🙂

LibreELEC PREVIEW BUILDS

1. daramori says:

Live TV broke for me after upgrading from 7.0.1 to 7.90.001 on an RPi 2. I got error messages saying the VDR PVR client addon couldn’t be loaded. Digging into logs showed that Kodi was expecting the addon library to have a different filename. I got Live TV working again by SSHing into LibreELEC and running the following commands:

cd /storage/.kodi/addons/pvr.vdr.vnsi
    ln -s pvr.vdr.vnsi.so.2.4.1 pvr.vdr.vnsi.so.1.11.16

Hopefully this helps anyone else who has broken live TV after the upgrade!

2. Thareh says:

Very nice!! 🙂 An issue I’ve found so far is that sometimes when I press a button on my TV remote (which is connected via HDMI CEC to my RPI) it thinks I pressed the button twice which is very annoying =P Other than that it works fine so far!! 🙂

3. Gene says:

What’s the difference between these builds and Mulhouse builds?

Milhouse builds contain numerous patches that have not been committed to LE or Kodi. In some cases patches are for fixes (making MH builds more stable) but others are experimental (which could make MH builds less stable). The difference is not that large, but I’d describe Alpha builds as being a few steps further back from the bleeding edge; they only contain tested/committed changes.

4. Swen Winkler says:

Live TV will not work. TVheadend client is disabled (marked as incompatible).

5. Nymus says:

Thanks a lot! I will switch to 8.0 in July and of course i will report errors and bugs.

6. daniel says:

I really hope that it’ll be a solution for cubox users.
    i know it’s a kernel issue

It’s partly Kernel and partly Kodi. Sadly there is only one developer actively working on imx6 support (mk01 from Xbian) and that’s not a sustainable situation. We can take his patches and if it all works that’s great, but if there’s a problem we’re powerless to do much and that’s not an acceptable position. @vpeter will likely continue a community build if we drop the semi-official one, but we’re waiting to see progress and activity.

7. zeroq says:

Is this EGL buld?

8. seppel says:

Hi.
    Im currently testing an odroidc2 Alpha build .
    Biggest Problems i noticed:
    – network interface does not run stable at the same Speed. It most often runs at 10 Mbit (!!)
    – cpu heat. I noticed a thread in odroid Forums where you should change cpu governor to reduce cpu heat. This should be default in odroidc2 Builds.
    – kodi sometimes hangs. I believe crashes when I use my tv remote and CEC (which runs very nice)
    – i use tvheadend. Everything (EPG, recordings etc.) runs perfect except Streaming the tv program 😀 the stream just doesn’t Start when I try it.
    – very poor performance on sd-card. but I used a small ssd on my device i used before…maybe this is not your Problem.

Im gonna Test more…Thanks for doing these Builds!

I’m not sure where you got the URL from but those builds are for private testing so I’ve removed it from the post and their location will be changed (sorry!). We didn’t merge patches needed for a C2 alpha build yet and Amlogic VideoPlayer work in Krypton is not complete .. so not really surprised things a few things aren’t right.

9. Grosbouff says:

small bug : the description of the “about” section of the LibreElec settings (bottom of the page) does not displays correctly : there is a text overlapping another one. Note that my Kodi is in french.

Yup .. new text and layout (and translations) for the About page are on our to-do list. Merci 🙂

10. lysin says:

I can’t get watchdog plugin to work on a fresh install. Polling recursively network directories.

Anyone else?

The best place for support is the forum. You can post debug logs in the forum so we don’t have to guess at the issue.

11. Reuven Lavie says:

Exuse me for my ignorance. How I’m updating for the new version of Liberelec.
    I’m using PI3..

12. ThonaV says:

Just a short questions. The information text of cpu usage i can display during i play a film is not displayed correctly on my Pi2. I can´t see the complete text – the top left content isn´t visible. How can I change the position of the text?

13. 2913 says:

Why not show your self on distrowatsh.com so that more people know that you are out there.

How about a chat function on your page?

An email to distrowatch has been sent, but it’s up to them to list us. The #libreelec channel exists on freenode if you want to chat to someone.

14. Grosbouff says:

A little bug : when I put my Intel NUC to sleep mode and that I wake it up; the “shut down” menu still is shown (shut down, hibernate, …)

15. malf says:

RPI3
    the setting display adjust isn’t stored after reboot.
    the system broke often down when i#m watching live tv and chance channels.