LibreELEC (Jarvis) v7.0.2 MR

The v7.0.2 maintenance release has a strong Raspberry flavour with firmware and Kodi updates to resolve minor Pi issues and a bootloop with the Xperience1080 skin. There are also tweaks to polish the “noobs” experience as the Raspberry Pi Foundation now includes LibreELEC in the list of distributions available via noobs and their downloads page. If you are not using Pi hardware this is a minor update as there have been few reports of things to fix. v7.0.2 changes include:

• Fix an issue where journald logs were wiped on RPi due to time/NTP changes
  • Fix an issue where Kodi skins with no cursor bootloop on Pi hardware
  • Fix an issue with mtools creating corrupt directories in installer images
  • Fix an machine-id issue when /storage/.cache doesn’t exist on first boot
  • Fix context key mapping on the OSMC remote
  • Fix some JSON formatting issues for the noobs installer
  • Update to brcmfmac43430-sdio wlan firmware for RPi3
  • Update to RPi/RPi2 backports and firmware
  • Update Linux kernel to 4.4.13 to track Pi support patches
  • Update eventlicd version to latest
  • Update various noobs files to improve cosmetics
  • Update udev rules to prevent noobs partitions auto-mounting
  • Add support for new i2c soundcards on Pi hardware
  • Add support for RTC_DRV_DS3232 on RPi/RPi2
  • Add support for auto-delete of FSCK.* files in boot partitions
  • Add 40×40 LibreELEC icon to the noobs installer
  • Add support for the Terratec Cinergy S2 Rev.3 DVB card

LibreELEC operates a 24-hour ‘canary’ period between maintenance release files being posted to the download page and the release being available via auto-update and noobs.

Recent add-on changes include: Adding ‘unclutter’ support to Chromium to allow optional hiding of the mouse cursor (useful in Kiosk set-ups). Syncthing now supports user-updating of the Syncthing binary within the addon. Hyperion has been updated and now ships with an improved default config file. Docker has been updated and now supports status pop-up notifications in the Kodi GUI. Oscam has been updated. The mpg123 and squeezlite binaries have been added to our multimedia-tools bundle, and both Music Player Daemon (MPD) and Moonlight have been added to the repo.

Enjoy 🙂

1. Gabor says:

I’m use Libreelec on PI3, and this update is GREAT! Thanks!

Great to see LibreELEC replace OpenELEC in the official NOOBS OS list.

Have you guys thought about contact Team KODI and getting the Wiki updates.
    Their WiKi still lists OpenELEC

I think Kodi team’s stance will remain neutral (as it should be) until there is either a clear statement from Stephan about his plans for OE, or until enough time has elapsed with no activity for the project to be declared ‘R.I.P’ and some cleanup is warranted.

3. JimmySmith says:

Hi, I cant see 7.0.2 tag in github..

4. Renex says:

Tried to update but after the reboot nothing happens. I’m using berryboot could that be the reason why? Both the automatic and manual update wont work. I’m using a Pi 3. Help please

I’ve tried (and failed) to find any online documentation that explains the structure or what’s needed for berryboot images; so our current builds probably don’t support it.

• Renex says:

Thanks for the reply. Do you think this is something that might be done in the future? Thank you so much for the great work.

• Paul says:

a Berryboot OE/LE install doesn’t work with the tar file – if you extract and then copy the 4 files within the target folder into the update folder on the pi and reboot – everything will work then

• Víctor Camblor says:

Very thx. Your answer has been very useful. Works perfectly!

• Renex says:

Sorry for the late reply. Extracting the .img file and placing it in the update folder worked. Thank you so much Paul.

5. trance89 says:

after manual update (img.gz copied to update folder) from 7.0.1 both my Pi2 and Pi3 media players working fine, thanks for your hard work 🙂

6. Felipe Lima says:

They are already using the latest version of LIBRTMP?

We are using the latest version, although rtmpdump has zero updates in ~6 months 🙁

7. marcos says:

Since the openelec beta version (6.9.3) and now with libreelec my video stay black when i changes framerate in video, or stop the video to come back to menu, and i need to put again the hdmi cable or turn on again my tv to fix until next play video…
    Someone knows whats happends? And if i have some fix to this?

I use Intel Pc, Intel grafic card video

*Sorry my very bad english, I´m brasilian rsrsr

LE v7.90.001/002 use the KMS driver which has problems on some older Intel GPU’s. We revert back to the official Intel driver in v7.90.003 to solve problems like this.

• Marcos says:

So in next update (until alpha i think) this will solve the problem thats it?

Waiting than…

8. isamudaison says:

How exactly am I supposed to upgrade? I kept getting notifications that an update was available, but no option to install/reboot. I went into the libreelec add-on and selected the ‘check for updates’ but the screen just ‘refreshed’ and didn’t do anything. I tried rebooting, and it ‘detected’ an upgrade tar, but then it gave an error saying ‘missing system or kernel’ … and then just booted up 7.0.1… is manually updated the only path currently?

It should download the file automatically and then you reboot; on next boot the update is installed, then it reboots again into the new version. It sounds like the downloaded file was bad (it can happen, the internet isn’t perfect) and so the update didn’t work. It will repeat the process on it’s own, but you can always do a manual update if you’d prefer.

9. Serieofilo says:

Upgrade from OE 6.0.3 in RPi3 seamless to LE 7.0.2. All my settings has been maintained.
    Thanks and good luck with this new project.

10. Linux User says:

Just a quick heads-up, reporting my experience, hoping it helps the community squash bugs.

I downloaded, checksum-verified, extracted the ‘.img’ all as expected.

After dd-ing onto a USB-stick, it doesn’t boot my desktop rig.

I imaged it onto a second different USB-stick, just in case.

What’s more, both sticks booted my laptop. Just not the desktop PC. 🙁

– Hewlett Packard dc7900 sff
    – Core2Duo @ 3GHz, 6GB RAM
    – Intel Q45 chipset with GMA 4500 integrated-graphics
    – HP’s most recent BIOS 786G1 v01.16
    – Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T-500 DVB-T card
    ..any other details needed, please ask

This little machine happily runs 24/7 with Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa KDE, plus 4.4 kernel, and both MythTV and Kodi.

But this LibreELEC 7.0.2 download fails to even begin booting, instead going to my Grub menu as usual, despite explicitly selecting USB-boot from the F9 startup-screen.

As I’ve only just discovered your project, I don’t have any previous experience or downloads to compare.

I won’t be able to test different versions any time soon, nor even OpenELEC, for reasons of bandwidth and usage-caps.

Still, I thought I should be a good citizen and post this feedback.

In a nutshell : this release doesn’t boot my HP dc7900.

Hope this helps progress

11. AleX says:

on my Wetek I installed 7.0.2. After that a try to play recordings from VDR-VNSI ended with a restart of kodi I post the log file here:
    I returned to 7.0.1 and it’s fine now.
    Thank you for developing great software!!!
    greetings aleX

12. Pasca says:

After going from 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 on my rPi3 my Airplay functionality is broken. I used to be able to stream from my ipad to my Pi.

13. marcos says:

I have a PC Intel with lebreelec 7.02 installed…
    I see now in Kripton something about MVC 3D FramedPack and since ever is not possible play a 3D Iso Bluray…
    My system is based on linux i supossed, because the boot is direct to libreelec and kodi…
    When Kripton finish there a chance to reproduce MVC 3D FramedPack ou BD ISO 3D in my system?
    Or there are a option format de HD and install Windows and another Libreelec file?
    Im very noob about how chance linux or windows in my situation…

14. Roel says:

How long wil it take to the next update voor Raspberry Pi? –> LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-7.90.003

15. Gendji says:

Just installed 7.0.2 on my Cubox-i4pro starting from scratch with a new micro sd card, after not having any luck with the update file for Openelec (blank screen). It all worked great including the backup file i made using Openelec 7 beta 3.

I have no idea why it works for me and not for others with a cubox but i am a happy camper 😀

Only thing i can think of is that some people with a cubox still have the “256mb reserved system space” version of OE but i could be wrong.

Works like a charm and thank you very much for picking up development and sharing it with us.