LibreELEC (Jarvis) v7.0.0 RELEASE

It’s taken six weeks crammed with activity to reach this point. The LibreELEC collective has grown to approx. 45 people (someone needs to start a who’s who guide) and there’s generally been some rather cool things happening around us. Happy times indeed.

The v7.0.0 build contains Kodi Jarvis 16.1 (final) and a fix for some Verisign SSL certificate changes that impacted Pandora add-on users. It also addresses a bluez crash, a firmware update for Intel Skylake users, a fix for an Amlogic CEC issue on WeTek Play/Core. Most importantly it also contains our new logo branding. The website, forums, wiki, and social sites on Facebook and Twitter will be updated to showcase the same change in the next 48 hours.

This also marks the point when we deep-freeze the libreelec-7.0 branch. From this milestone forwards the only commits allowed will be bug and security fixes or addon maintenance. This approach ensures our nice stable release will remain a nice stable release. It also creates a stationary target for a growing number of downstream projects who use LibreELEC as the JeOS platform for their own releases. There will be a news post to highlight some of these collaborations in the near future.

In the past few days the Add-on repo has seen updates to Docker, Chromium, Tvheadend 4.2 and a few other Kodi add-ons. We also added a new “pi tools” bundle that contains RPi.GPIO, gpiozero and picamera.

**REMINDER**

LibreELEC operates a 24-hour ‘canary’ period between major release files being posted to the download page and the release being available via the auto-update system.

That’s all for now. Enjoy!

LibreELEC team 🙂

DOWNLOADS

1. QuadBeat says:

Amazing work done!

2. Helpful says:

Upgrading (from OpenELEC) is easy!

ssh [email protected]_IP_ADDRESS
    cd .upgrade
    # If you have a Raspberry Pi2 or 3
    wget http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-7.0.0.tar
    reboot

Have fun

• Klojum says:

FYI, the LibreELEC upgrade process also supports using the img.gz image file as an upgrade file.

• Helpful says:

Small typo: it’s: cd .update
      (cd .upgrade is wrong)

• Wouter says:

The update does not work for raspberry pi 2. During reboot it says “checking file: failed”.
        Any ideas? I currently have OpenElec and want to install LibreElec

• Klojum says:

Possibly… Your system partition has possibly become too small over time. Do a full backup, do a clean install of LibreELEC and restore the backup.

• cOEu says:

In case you didn’t reinstall yet:
          Was “checking file: failed” the exact error message (in case you still remember)?
          Does the system still boot with OpenELEC?
          Which file did you use for updating? The .tar (not .img/.img.gz) for Pi 2/3?

3. sat4all says:

long life libreELEC… a.men

4. Francis says:

Thank you all for a wonderful release. I just updated from an OpenElec installation. It was a seamless upgrade and all is well. thanks again

5. J876 says:

I like the new logo (and the old one too).

6. amalfi says:

Upgrading (from OpenELEC) is really easy!
    Just use cd .update (instead of cd .upgrade)
    or copy the file LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-7.0.0.tar to the smb share update
    Thanx for the great release!

7. Patrick says:

Finally a great distribution with an awesome mediacenter launched. Keep up all the great work you are doing.

8. Rik says:

I have a shared Database currently openelec RPI and a windows based KODI
    I got to have this asked: Can i use the same database with Libreleec? (using same kodi version offcrouse)

9. acrophoenix says:

You should make LibreELEC available to more platforms to compete with OpenELEC, such as Odroid and popular TV boxes like this one: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_334004.html

• KoosVanKlojum says:

LibreELEC for Odroid C2 proves to be a bit of a handful. It’s still a work-in-progress for now.

10. hackbird says:

Libreelec 7 works perfect for me. One thing what dont working on my system is TVH 4.2. Channel scan wont wok but its not an libreelec problem its an TVH problem. Now i am back on TVH 4.1.1931 .. This version works.

11. Rik says:

Can confirm it works with shared database, but first upgrade failed when mimic skin was active. screen went black and never came back. downgraded to openelec. reverted database.. and upgraded with default skin. All settings were retained

• Thanks Rik for the input. I had the same issue, but i fixed it by removing the guisettings.xml in the Userdata folder on LibreElec/OpenElec. Restarted/rebooted and then the default skin and settings were applied and Kodi launched correctly. I then let Kodi update all the addons and skins and then reverted back to the skin I want (Artic Sephyr).

Ofcourse some settings are then gone, but that was not an issue in my case.
      Perhaps this will work for other users too.

12. Awesome, upgrading from OE to LE was super smooth. Thanks for making that process so smooth

13. Nathan says:

Upgraded from OpenElec 6.0.3 was seemless and problem free. Thanks guys great job!

14. ropodope says:

i did a direct upgrade from OpenELEC 7.02 RC2 to LibreELEC Jarvis 7.0 on Raspberry Pi 3. The translation was seemless. Not only were all of my setting left intact but several addons that have broken along the way that i could not fix before (Leopold’s OpenELEC Dev update for one) now work perfectly as well. I love the logo and as far as operability goes I am incurring no issues with any addon i use now. I am more than thrilled and am so glad I took the leap forkward. LOL. Thanks a bunch guys.

15. cert says:

Why should i use LibreELEC instead of OpenELEC? Is LibreELEC not only a fork of OpenELEC?

The core difference is the ethos behind the project and the ecosystem of activity around the project. If you care about how the software you use is created, sustained, supported, and will evolve in the future you might prefer LibreELEC. You’re free to choose whatever you believe in and/or works for you 🙂

16. Sigilens says:

Is it possible to start/operate from a usb stick on a pc.

Yes but you need 2x USB’s: one imaged as the installer which you boot from and the second as the target device to install to. It’s a bit dumb and maybe something we change in the future. Be careful with the install-to device – don’t overwrite other OS on internal HDD’s etc.

17. Derek says:

The Kodi Kore Phone app has stopped working after the update to 7.0

18. awiouy says:

Smoothly migrated from OE to LE. Congratulations !
    Are community addons still hosted at OE?
    I see LE comes wirh golang, and I am wondering if I should update the Syncthing addon accordingly.
    Reagrds, @

LE operates a single addon repo for both community and team maintained addons. If you’d like Syncthing to be present please PR the required changes on GitHub.

19. lama0900 says:

successfully migrated from OE on WeTek Play! wonderful! 🙂

Great work.
    Have swapped the OpenELEC image to the LibreELEC image for our SD card burner.
    Therefore, all our customers buying our KODI SD cards & combos now get LibreELEC

21. Enquire says:

“a firmware update for Intel Skylake users”

Just to clarify, I’m using a skylake cpu but I can now use this stable version of Jarvis instead of Milhouse’s Krypton testbuild?

Hi again,

I found the downloads pretty slow so have re-uploaded them to Mega for others.
    I have also converted the .tar into a NOOBS compatible image for dual-boot setups.

The downloads are here:

23. Zeroq says:

I have openelec 15.2 with EGL build. If i update to this libreelec would i lose auto update because its EGL

You would *gain* auto-update because 15.x + EGL builds for OE are development builds and development builds (LE or OE) don’t auto-update. However (now corrected) the EGL work is not in 16.1 so you will need to stay on the EGL builds for now.

• Zeroq says:

So you are saying that it will auto update after.

• infoalter says:

Thanks for making clear C, i m staying to 15.x EGL build for now.
        Question is: Will there be EGL features included in the future LE8 builds? Would love to test alpha builds if they come with EGL.. thank you

• Klojum says:

EGL features are targeted for Kodi 17 (Krypton), so those would automatically come into LibreELEC 8.0

• infoalter says:

I know, used to run a Fritsch test build and i was impressed, however it was (of course) unstable. Had crashes daily. 15.2 EGL was rock stable.
            I will try Libre 8.0 when BETA is available 🙂

24. ahgee2 says:

Just installed LE 7.0.0 seamlessly on a Pi2 – many thanks to all the team for the great work. One question though regarding the post from Zeroq and chewitt’s reply. I was going to wait to do my NUC because I’m currently running fritsch’s excellent OE15.2+EGL build, and I understand from http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=261346 that the EGL work did not make it into Kodi 16. So I was going to wait for LE 8.0.0. chewitt, can you confirm that the EGL work is really in Kodi 16.x? If it is, I’ll switch the NUC to LE in a flash. Thanks again for the great work.

Ahh.. my bad. I was under the impression that it had been rolled up. I’ve corrected the post. LE 8.0 alpha builds should start in the next week once the initial addon repo has been built and published.

25. Justin says:

Just found libreelec today after being on OE for the longest time. I’m rebuilding everything from a clean install and I’m one step away to finishing it.

Hifiberry Digi+ was working with OE and from what I understand, the OE teams intergrated a hifiberry patch into the releases. Since LibreElec does not have this patch, can someone point me to a guide on how to install this patch install this patch into LibreElec?

• gurabli says:

Well, this is important for me as well! I really need Digi+ support. Isn’t it better if the patch is also included in LE for HiFiBerry devices?

The main person who drives HiFiBerry development works with the LE team and normally points out anything needed, but share a link to the allegedly ‘missing’ patch. We can investigate and if required we can add things for the 7.0.1 release.

• gurabli says:

Sorry, I was distracted by the above comment by Justin, who clearly stated that the required patch is not included in LE. I did not try LE because of this reason, so actually I don’t know if HiFiBerry DIGI+ is working or not with LE. I will try it out, just need to find some time. It was the only reason that prevented me to switch from OE to LE.

• Justin says:

Do I enable the hifiberry the same way in LE as I would in OE throught config.txt? I did this and the audio device is not appearing in the audio output settings.

What am I missing? If there is a bug, I would like to help get it developed, tested and released in 7.0.1.

• popcornmix says:

The hifiberry patch is included.

26. openelecuser says:

I’ll hold off swapping to LibreELEC until the unofficial addons repo is supported, and rtorrent bugs are sorted, looking forward to the future though! 😀

• Klojum says:

There will be only the LibreELEC addons repo, with most of the addons, and no longer the unofficial addons repo.

• openelecuser says:

What will happen to the unofficial repo in this case? Will the addons from the repo be merged to the official one, or will they be left behind?

There will be no unofficial repo. It has been cast into the pit of confusion that it has caused OE users since it’s conception. Most commonly used add-ons have already been migrated, but we’ll add things selectively based on what’s actually used or requested as there’s no point in us becoming the maintainer of things that aren’t used. Some of the more complex add-ons (also the ones most-associated with piracy activities) are best run as docker containers as that shifts the burden of maintenance away from LE team to the docker community (who we are generally collaborating with).

27. cert says:

i can’t login with SSH to odroid-c2. tried putty and linux terminal. login with root/libreelec results in “Access denied” ?!?

did you enable ssh? .. did you accidentally enable key-only auth in the LE settings addon?

28. BSmith says:

Is there an LE for the M8 amlogic 802 ? Works perfect on my PI 2. Thanks for all your hard work.

29. cOEu says:

Congratulations for your first release! Running nicely on one Pi2 and three Pi1s (so far) 🙂

One little request/suggestion: could you please provide popcornmix’s visualization.shadertoy in your repos? With the currently-available one (1.0.6 by “Team-Kodi”), not all visualizations work on the Pi.
    Also, the popcornmix version does have more/different presets.
    1.0.7 and 1.0.8 (zips from https://github.com/popcornmix/repository.popcornmix.storage, for 1.0.8 the one from april (!)) are running great on the Pi2.

I’m told the Kodi team addon (GL) isn’t the same as the pi (GLES) version in popcornmix’s git repo and the challenge is that Kodi can’t differentiate pi-Linux from Generic-Linux; OS is the only key (e.g. Linux vs. Mac vs. Win). We’d prefer not to deviate from Kodi repo else building Kodi binary add-ons might get a bit weird but we’ll have a team ponder on the request.

• cOEu says:

Well, that’s unfortunate – thanks for the effort. 🙂
        Would be great to have it – even if that means packaging it as “Shadertoy (GLES)” or using some other workaround …

• Lukas Rusak says:

You can always just install popcornmix’s repository and install the add-on from there 🙂

• cOEu says:

Yes, but:
            * In your BETA 2 announcement chewitt wrote “[…] for the Raspberry Pi users who comprise a majority of our users” (read on)
            * Kodi 17 will disable additional repositories by default and warn on enabling them: https://kodi.tv/warning-be-aware-what-additional-add-ons-you-install/

So, for “the majority of your users” there finally is a proper visualization add-on available – but *it is partially broken by default* (just try the presets – some simply don’t work on the Pi ; also popcornmix improved the preset selection).

… and if someone by chance discovers popcornmix’s version (which is unlikely unless they know where to look or ask) and adds the additional repository, starting with the next Kodi version they will have to first enable additional repositories and then get a warning that doing so is not recommended, their data could be stolen etc.

This it not a great user experience *at all*. Thus, it would be really great if you could find a way to make the popcornmix version visible and easy to install – even if that means having a second add-on “Shadertoy (GLES)” (with “Raspberry Pi” in the description), “Shadertoy (for Raspberry Pi)” or similar if more automation isn’t possible right now.

• cOEu says:

By the way @popcornmix: Your shadertoy visualization addon still needs a proper icon (it still has the “Spectrum” one). 🙂

30. cOEu says:

@chewitt (I just noticed that comments at “Heads Up!” have been closed):

TL;DR: please *do* secure your downloads/updates. If hashes aren’t secure enough for you, please sign the files.

Thank you for your extensive answer. 🙂 I’m sorry if I’m writing stuff obvious to you, but I still think you’re not completely right and should secure the downloads (and more, like updates).

> “Malicious mirror isn’t a case we can solve […]”

Preventing them probably not, but detecting them to some degree (download and verify).

> “As files containing hashes that we can publish will reside on the same host as the potentially compromised files they validate they should not be considered trustworthy hash files.”

Well, it should be obvious that these then don’t protect against file tampering *at that specific host* (or somewhere before it in the distribution chain), but they still protect against modification during download (if the checksum-containing file is served securely). Since your mirror servers are HTTP though and probably can’t make an exception (using HTTPS) for single files, that isn’t an option anyway as far as I can tell.

So, the other option would be hosting the checksum-containing file *yourself* at https://libreelec.tv/some/path/SHASUMS – or embedding them into the download page. That’s just a decision of convenience both for you and the ones checking the downloaded image. A simple wget ‘…/SHASUMS’; shasum -c SHASUMS is easier than copying the hash from a website and as a bonus you already have the checksums on your system alongside the image for future use.

> “[continuing from above] Similar case for any hashes we insert on our download pages.”

Are you implying you’re hosting both your WordPress installation and the installation images on the same (virtual) machine? If that’s the case, this should probably be changed as far as I can tell …
    If not, what’s the damning problem with:
    * WordPress page (and host): list of hashes embedded in download page (or SHASUMS file) served via HTTPS.
    * Download server (different host): downloadable image.
    An attacker then needs to compromise both your website (host) *and* your download server/mirror to change the image *and* the hashes (please read on).

> “So, as we cannot provide all encompassing assurance against those hashes, and to avoid creating a false sense of security […]”

This is partially void, see above, and for the rest: who can provide “all encompassing [security]” unless you’re starting from the silicon level? If you’re afraid that these hashes are interpreted as “personally checked bit-for-bit by the LibreELEC team who by the way also solved the halting problem”, just add a simple “These hashes were calculated on the build server” or whatever above the checksum list or alongside the SHASUMS file download link.

If that still isn’t enough in your opinion, please sign your images – after all you’re providing *an operating system* running on a machine inside your network, my network and lots of other people’s networks (not everyone will be able or willing to provide a separate network just for the LibreELEC machine(s)). Granted, no one will do online banking on a LibreELEC installation (hopefully), but it’s still a networked machine with the potential of being abused … which reminds me very much of the growing Internet of Insecure Things™. I don’t want LibreELEC (machines) to be a part of that. Securing your installation image downloads is a first step (even if only a small percentage of your users currently is able to make use of that – you have to start somewhere); securing LibreELEC itself the next one (as far as possible – of course there is no complete security, but some things like secure updates are important and might actually be low-hanging fruit. Or would you be happy about your *nix/Windows/whatever machine pulling updates over HTTP and thus executing potentially arbitrary code by everyone sitting in the packet flow – nation-state actor, lowly script kiddie or someone in between?).

There are people who *want* to check the stuff that’s getting installed (or have it being checked during updates). Please make this possible for LibreELEC. Thank you very much. 🙂

• cOEu says:

“[…] pulling updates over HTTP […]” at the end should have been “[…] pulling updates over HTTP without subsequent verification […]”.

31. Panos says:

Hi all. I have a pi3 and have dual boot rasbian and open elec via noobs. If I update as described in the first comment,will I have issues with rasbian? How do I open terminal in open elec in order to update? Thank you

• Klojum says:

We cannot test every possible OS combinations on different hardwares ourselves. Make full backups wherever necessary, and tell us of your experiences with migrating to LibreELEC.

32. ElWoody says:

i have got a question ^^
    i use OE 6.95.3
    did TVheadend. for DVB-S. works on LE???
    can i switch from OE to LE and use TVheadend like on OE ?
    sorry for my bad English 🙁

33. Richie M says:

Hi amazing people, If I want to copy my current addons from my Kodi openelec device to another one using LibreELEC, how do I do it? I’m using a NUC HTPC and would like to use windows to do this. Can I copy folders ? Thanks.

1. April 27, 2016

[…] decided to fork it, and create LibreELEC. The team of 25 or so members has now released LibreELEC v7.0.0 based on Kodi 16.1 which had also  been released a few days […]

2. April 27, 2016

[…] LibreELEC (Jarvis) v7.0.0 RELEASE […]

3. April 28, 2016

[…] 它并不总是很容易在生活中相处,最近这已在科迪的开发者社区以及相关的项目真正与Koying 留下他作为主要科迪Android开发者的角色,这可能意味着科迪17不会得到一个Android端口等最近几个OpenELEC开发商,不满意目前的一些项目的发展,决定叉它,并创建LibreELEC。25个左右的会员团队已经发布了LibreELEC 7.0.0基于科迪16.1它也被释放的前几天。 […]